Training of new recruits is one of the most important aspects of employee management in jails, correctional facilities and other public safety institutions. But the truth is, many such facilities still use outdated procedures and “old-school” evaluation and reporting methods that work but are very inefficient in terms of wasted time and overall success of the training. Learn how you can help your Jail Training Officers be more efficient in their roles with the help of specialized software for jails and correctional facilities.
The Issues With Paper-Based Observation and Evaluation
If training officers in your jail or correctional facility still relies on printed Jail Training Officer Manuals such as this one, you could be missing out on important data, as well as spending way too much time on paperwork. Don’t get us wrong, printed guides and manuals are OK to use. However, when all of your observation and evaluation reports exist primarily in the paper format, you could be dealing with the following issues:
- There isn’t nearly enough room to record all of your relevant observations in the designated fields.
- Readability of handwriting can be an issue.
- It’s cumbersome to share paper-based information with other training officers, as well as the Jail Commander.
- It’s inconvenient to consolidate multiple reports on the same recruit from several training officers.
- Data comparison and trend analysis are time-consuming.
These are just a few of the shortcomings of paper-based observation reports. Even if they are scanned and filed electronically for easy access and sharing, they are still very limiting in terms of data compilation and analysis.
A Better Approach With Field Training Software
You can greatly streamline field training in your jail or correctional facility with the help of specialized field training software for public safety institutions like yours. You can still maintain some of your paper forms to keep the signed paperwork, but the majority of data entry will happen online. With a system such as our AutomateD Observation Reports and Evaluations software (A.D.O.R.E.), you will get the following features and benefits:
- Fast and easy web-based data entry
- Color-coded performance charts
- Ability to attach documents (such as your signed paper forms) to each recruit’s file
- Ability to automatically generate daily observation reports
- Each report or trainee file can be easily accessed by all parties involved in training and performance evaluation
- Comprehensive trend analysis allows for looking at all trainees as a group, determining common weak/strong areas in their training, or analyzing success rates of a specific Jail Training Officer.
By using software instead of lengthy forms, you can accomplish the same task in less time. And considering that as a Jail Training Officer you get to write and file observation reports daily and for multiple trainees, the bonus time will quickly add up. Use it to attend to your other duties or to improve the current training program in place in your correctional facility.
Interested in trying out A.D.O.R.E. or any of our other software for jails and correctional facilities? Give us a call or contact us online and we’ll be happy to offer you free a demonstration.